niagara report

Milty

Got back this aft,...and water was quite muddy as many had warned,...thanks for all the replys and pm's btw,...only fished for an hour or so...very warm in the sun indeed,..saw many salmon surfacing and hooked into one for about 5 seconds...lol...water seemed way too warm for steelhead,..but Im definately heading back there in the near future,..gotta love the challenge of the biggest river of all!!!

Intersting currents...lol,..surface flows one way and your float flows the other...and then theres the undertow,..see your float go down,..but its water pulling it...lol

Download-Oct-23-07042.jpg

Nice shot! I think I'd have a rope tied around my waste...hooked to the nearest tree. LOL

LOL...I guess there are men and there are boys.....just kidding....I stationed myself 100% secure and have no worries....

Stickin to the local gutting stations like East rivers,..is one kind of fishing,..now hiking and prospering areas where most others arent willing to put the energy,..and expericening natures challeges,..and still catching fish,..IMHO,...is what it is all about..

Not just talkin Niagara by any means...but I see many pics of anglers posing on rivers on this and other sites,..with 10 other anglers in the background,..I personally despise those situations,...and would much rather make the trek to chrome,..and have beavers and deer and herons as my neighbours on river....any thoughts....?

Beautiful pic. I think the whirlpool is one of the most scenic places this province has to offer. You're right about the crazy currents. I was down there fishing for carp a month ago and watched my 3 and 4oz of lead sway back and forth in the current till it snagged up in a pile of rocks.

IMO the Niagara is the most underrated river, saw a episode on WFN with cronzy fishing the Niagara and he couldnt believe the hogs and numbers of fish he was pulling up. Not too many places where you can hit the 50+ fish days and not all be little pan sized fish. I usually go down in the winter time not as many "bugs" around and the fishing is generally better when it is -30 out (go figure).

LOL...I guess there are men and there are boys.....just kidding....I stationed myself 100% secure and have no worries....

Stickin to the local gutting stations like East rivers,..is one kind of fishing,..now hiking and prospering areas where most others arent willing to put the energy,..and expericening natures challeges,..and still catching fish,..IMHO,...is what it is all about..

Not just talkin Niagara by any means...but I see many pics of anglers posing on rivers on this and other sites,..with 10 other anglers in the background,..I personally despise those situations,...and would much rather make the trek to chrome,..and have beavers and deer and herons as my neighbours on river....any thoughts....?

I don't know about beavers as neighbours for me! My bf and I were out at the Credit and there is one very territorial beaver who got pretty upset we were casting near his dam. We moved once we realized he was there but he followed us all the way back down the river. He kept splashing the water whenever we stopped to throw a cast in! watch out for angry beavers!! hahaha

I agree in principle, but living in southern Ontario crowds and steelheading usually go hand in hand unfortunately...unless you're driving to the north shore of Huron or Superior north of the Soo.

There's always certain places or stretches of a particular river that offer complete solitude, but they're few.

I do enjoy those rare days when I find it though...

I agree in principle, but living in southern Ontario crowds and steelheading usually go hand in hand unfortunately...unless you're driving to the north shore of Huron or Superior north of the Soo.

There's always certain places or stretches of a particular river that offer complete solitude, but they're few.

I do enjoy those rare days when I find it though...

You're right to a degree Solo,...I actually live right besdie one of those crowded lake O tribs,..I rarely fish it however. Within one hour of TO,..I can show you productive spots that even on warm sunny October days you might only see 5-6 other anglers,..and its not like down here,..you would acutally stop and talk to these guys cuz they made the same effort you did. Actually I remember 6-7 overcast outings in a row last year in oct/nov where I got into multiple fish and never saw another angler, except my buddy. Ive been doing alot of homework since then as well as mapping, plan to have many many more of these spots before too long. cheers!!!

You're right to a degree Solo,...I actually live right besdie one of those crowded lake O tribs,..I rarely fish it however. Within one hour of TO,..I can show you productive spots that even on warm sunny October days you might only see 5-6 other anglers,..and its not like down here,..you would acutally stop and talk to these guys cuz they made the same effort you did. Actually I remember 6-7 overcast outings in a row last year in oct/nov where I got into multiple fish and never saw another angler, except my buddy. Ive been doing alot of homework since then as well as mapping, plan to have many many more of these spots before too long. cheers!!!

Yeah well, I don't include the east trib's in my statement 'cause I rarely if ever fish them :).

There's no doubt you can find solitude up north, but seeing 5 or 6 other guys doesn't equate

into complete solitude either in my books.

The days where you see no one else are pretty rare...

Anyhow, I agree with you as far as doing your homework, putting in the legwork and finding

spots on your own. That's what it's all about.