My First Muskie!!

Jacques

Last weekend I had my third kick at the can trying to land my first muskie. I headed up to my buddy Don's cottage in the Kawarthas. The weather was unsettled with a good wind -- just right for a muskie drift.

We spent mornings and evening fishing for walleye -- managing about six between the four of us plus a lot of bass -- it seems smallmouth are establishing a bigger presence in the lake we were in.

We drifted for Muskie using lures made by Don and his Dad -- Spinner/weight combos hooked with a large minnow.

I have to say, I was totally prepared to *not* catch a muskie. So when my rod rapped twice and then doubled over, the old heart started thumping big time. I set hooks but was pretty nervous about losing the fish -- my worry compunded by the fact I was using a baitcaster that wasn't mine and was familiar enough with the drag while you're sititing around, but not so much in the heat of the moment.

She fought pretty hard and had a good run near the boat. Man, I was shaking and reliving that fish for the next hour. I got bit by the muskie bug hard on this trip.

As you can see from the pic, I don't have a flattering hold on the fish but she was just over 40"...

phpoBxZocAM.jpg

Tim's muskie birdnested his reel but he managed to detangle and hold onto the fish...

php0RiAcgAM.jpg

Now here's Don's secret tip to catching muskie... Pretend you're fishing for walleye and rig up some eight pound line with a 3/8 oz white jig and a small minnow. Don't bother using a leader -- you won't need one to land the fish.

phpDIu0OkAM.jpg

It was a great weekend and thanks to all you Muskie guys out there for posting your pics and giving us newbies something to aspire to!

Jacques

Tim's muskie birdnested his reel but he managed to detangle and hold onto the fish...

That's what you call a pro. One who can untangle a birds nest and still fight the fish at the same time and manage to land it.

I'm not one of them.

0002006E.gif

Congrats Jacques ... Sure is a great feeling to get your first one. Now comes the challenge - you'll need to improve on that and a new "personal best" My hat's off to you !

Congrats on your 1st ever musky Jacques, she's a real beaut, that's always the hardest one to get and all the rest come easier now

It's been two years since my first one Lew. I did raise 4 on my most recent trip. I sure hope it comes easier. If you say so ... I shall believe.

Edited by Rich Clemens

Hey Jaques..

A very special congrats on all you managed to achieved with some what minor equipment and some dewcent fish boated.

I trust all releaess were done to the best of yor abilities at this time and it is only up from here and somewhat more exoensive ahahhahh

WTG Bud and thanks for sharring that and specially them photod.

Nice Fish Jacques!! But you forgot to mention about the TOTAL, UNBRIDLED PANIC that set in intially, before receiving some friendly advice and relaxing and enjoying it (lol). As for "Tim's" picture, he got the bird's nest out of his reel, but had difficulty getting it out of his arms. It took him a couple of days to straighten that one out!

I know this, because I'm the dude beside Jacques in his picture. :thumbsup_anim: It was truly a GREAT weekend!!!