Winterizing E-tec

Randy

I bought an etec last spring, really like the engine, but its now time to put it to bed for the winter. This engine has a self fogging feature by doing a few "simple" tasks that are outlined in the manual. However, I must be a complete noob or half of my brain doesn't seem to work because I really don't understand their "simple" procedure. I tried it a couple of times and it didn't seem to work. I searched on the internet and found some snippets of info that may help but would like to make sure.

I have the side mount control with the fast idle lever and not a button. Now, I understand that what I have to do is:

1. lift the fast idle lever up to the warm up position. This put the EMM (computer) in winterization mode and locks out gear shifting?

2. move the throttle forward to fast idle position and turn on motor.

3. SystemCheck lights will come on, when they go off, move throttle to neutral/normal idle position?

4. SystemCheck lights will come on again, when they go off, move throttle back to fast idle position and the Systemcheck lights will begin flashing.

5. engine is now automatically fogging and will shut off by itself.

Is this right? The fast idle control lever is in the up/warm up position throughout the procedure and you are only moving the throttle from fast idle to idle and back to fast idle when the Systemcheck lights come on?

Randy I tried to do my 115 on Saturday ,I have a Binnacle and the digi I Command guages,after running the stabil thru it I towed it to the marina,hes gonna do it via laptop,also ive ben told they dont produce a lot of smoke in the winterization mode like the old days of manual fogging

Thanks 2 Tone Z71, I'm going to give it another try and if not successful do a manual fogging. I called my dealer and asked if there was any problem with doing a manual fogging and was told there was no problem. So that's my fall back position. They didn't seem to be too familiar with the procedure in the manual because, as you point out, they do it by computer.

been down this road before, but the whole self fogging feature is extremly difficult to do unless you have the lap top handy, my 4-stroke ob was done in 10-15 minutes about the time it takes to turn the puter on let it load connect to the internet and post a question on how to fog a e-tec, i have 0 love for brp products have had to many failures with there newer technology.

E RUDE DUDE I hate to break it to ya, theres no way an Etec will run with a Merc any size comparasion,im a Brp fan there sleds rock ,my Etec has been great,but the Etecs are not screamers like the black animals

Finally...an honest BRP owner.............. with one that hasn't blown up yet.

Ok last time !!!! I have the pleasure of being able to test both 4 stroke mercs and 2 stroke Etecs .I AM NOT TALKING OUT OF MY ASS I GET TO TRY AT LEASt 20-30 OF EACH BRAND EACH YEAR AND HEAD TO HEAD THERE IS NO COMPARISON .I understand all you hard core merc guys but also realize you only know what you are told and Mercury owns 95 % of all aluminum boat companies and since most of you are fisherman (like myself ) most dealers are Mercury specific and will not tell you any good things about the Etec.From a guy who is the business and sells both brands the evinrudes perform much better coming out of the hole ,top end and despite what you are told THEY ARE MORE FUEL EFFICIENT THAN A FOUR STROKE AND IF YOU SAY THEY AREN'T YOU HAVE NO CLUE .Everybody has a right to an opinion i will not argue that but at least be informed and not blinded by your emotions and go by the facts simple.AND ONE LAST THING WHY ARE ALL YOU MERCURY LOVERS READING THE POSTS ON THE EVINRUDES IF YOU ARE SO HAPPY WITH YOUR MERCS.... ??? IT'S OK TO BE JEALOUS LOL :whistling:

Rude-Dude, the way you speak of e-tecs you'd think they would not only winterize themselves but part water and generate fuel. Why do all your posts turn into an e-tec brochure and why do you insist on insulting people who own anything but an e-tec?

-Brian

i don't speak with emotion or for what i have, had nothing but problems with sea-doo,s and ski doos couldn't seem to keep cranks in them esp( rev 800 power teks and 700 triples) merc may not be the absoulte best on the water but i havn't had any problems with the ones i have owned, fuel mileage is close among modern engines thats almost a non argument, but if i was going to but a new engine right now it would be a yamaha eithe 4 stroke or 2 stroke, have a hard time thinking a e-tec would even compare to a v-max engine.

Specktacklure...oh I mean Evinrude dude... Nobody swayed me to go Merc...I owned a 2003 BRP product before it. Didn't start worth a poop and got tired of filling the oil container.

As for why we looked in on this thread...wanted to see how much of a problem he had since he stated NEED HELP with his Etec. So do the 9 BRP owners that had brand new 2007 motors blow their power heads this year on Lake Temagami!

Edited by irishfield

I kinda like my Evinrude. It always has run well for me and is economical. 300 hrs and counting with no issues. We sell all makes of outboards and they can all have thieir problems. In the last 3 years we have had 1 powerhead failure on an E-tec and we think it may have been caused by overpropping. Nowadays all engine makes are good quality. It depends on what your needs are to what type of engine suits you best. There is much more involved in the marketing and advertising of the business that I wont get into but dont slam the Etecs too hard guys. I think they are a fine engine. Just my opinion.

I don't think anyone is slamming E-tecs. It's just that other people have made informed decisions to buy other brands of motors. Because someone bought an Evinrude, it doesn't make all the other brands junk.

Nowadays all engine makes are good quality. It depends on what your needs are to what type of engine suits you best. There is much more involved in the marketing and advertising of the business that I wont get into but dont slam the Etecs too hard guys. I think they are a fine engine. Just my opinion.

Well said Bernie.I agree.

Joe