Heading to Windsor this weekend...

mooseroo

I'm heading down to visit my parents in Windsor and was thinking of taking my rod and some tackle in case I can get out along the Detroit River some evening. Anyone got ideas on what I might be lurking along the riverfront? I'll be casting from shore.

Edited by mooseroo

If you are casting at night you just might hook into some of these:

Picture008.jpg

IMG_0793.jpg

None of those walleye had 3 eyes but I did catch one back in April in the DR that only had one eye. :D

You will need jig heads that are no less than 1/2 oz. The current in the Detroit River gets up to 7 Mph so the current will take your bait down stream pretty fast. Cast along the break walls at night with jerkbaits if you see or hear fish busting the surface. If fishing during the day you will want to fish a jig with a 4" straight tailed worm (pumpkinseed or black works best) or a Fin-S minnow (rainbow trout or smelt color work best).

There is also plenty of channel cats, smallies, & sheephead. There are also some big musky (50+") in there as well. Also some sturgeon but those show up more in the spring.

Edited by Zib

My wife went to school there 2 years ago, and I was in the same situation, I think a good place to start would be Riverside Marina, which is near Lauzon and riverside, being on the tecumseh side of lauzon, The boats are usually out of the marina by this time, and try right at the marina mouths where it meets the current, Hope this helps

Riverside is good except you may get kicked out.......most of the marinas don't allow fishing but fish till you get booted cuz some of the best fishing is in them

November 1st is open to the fisherman at riverside city marina

Thanks for the tips! If I get out I'll let you all know how it goes.

I'll be just a few minutes from Lauzon and Riverside, so I'll try to hit up the marina. Google Earth here I come!

Edit: Quick question... is there anything in where A-bars was. It's closed down from what I remember and it had some boat slips. Can you get out there?

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=42.340854,-82.948574&spn=0.002665,0.005021&z=18&om=1&output=embed&s=AARTsJpnOA3ioEtcI9rx_v7gyZqlolGTYw"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=42.340854,-82.948574&spn=0.002665,0.005021&z=18&om=1&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Edited by mooseroo

• 2 weeks later...