Farmer shoots two Pet Dogs

jedimaster

I had one of my neighbors pit bull get into my pasture and run my sheep one day.I had every right in the state of Virginia to kill his dog on the spot.I chased him back thru the fence and went to work on the fence where the dog got thru.The owner came out and helped me and he thanked me for not shooting his dog.This farmer probably knew the dogs and the owners.He should also know that you have to live with your neighbors and just cause you can do something doesn't mean you should.The Pit Bull never harassed my sheep again and I still get along with my neighbor.

Joe

Well said Joe ... there's a lot more to right and wrong than whats written in the law books or in contracts... and while I certainly have no idea what all the facts are in this case... and frankly no interest in being the 'judge' ... I would think that if we remembered that we dont get to 'log off' or hide behind the rules in real life, we would all think longer and harder before we do harm to our neighbors... especially harm that cant be undone if you find out you were wrong.

Edited by camillj

To shoot two golden retrivers when he could have easily shot overhead or close to them is pathetic.This shoot first think later mentality reminds me of Texas and we all know how well they do down there.I am a firm beliver that it is the owner of the dog that determines alot of it's behaviour.I am not naive to the fact that we are dealing with animals but the reality is anyone can own a dog.Your a pretty weak person if you feel that you have to shoot to helpless goldens to prove your a man.

but you don't know the facts

nor do I

but woulda coulda shoulda...crap

who to say he didn't shoot over their heads every day this week, but had a lamb cornered and it was time to end it

or maybe the dogs killed one of his animals or maybe he say the law states I can so I did......no one knows

people are coming to conclusions without having even the basic facts.........lets be holier then thou

and make up the facts to support our position.....give me a break.....

A few things... First off although younger livestock may not always be particularily expensive to buy, Prized animals are worth much more than many may believe. A bull although only worth very little when slaughtered is invaluable to a farmer as he can breed his cows and keep the bull which has a strong line of genes, for those of you who know lots about dogs how much do you think it would cost just to have a prized stud attempt to impregnate your dog. It is the same idea. As well horses can be worht more than most people will ever have in savings depending on its use. Lastly though the way I interpreted the story, the point of killing the dogs was to protect the farmer and his property, not to prove he's a man.

I am not a farmer but my 5 yr. old got bitten by a dog a year ago-got loose-right on our yard, woman said, he's never bitten anyone before, is this supposed to make me feel better? if I had been there I would have punted it for a field goal, I like animals but kids, family members and in this case livestock which is this mans livelyhood is priority! got dogs get a leash or a fence.

Golden retrievers ripping up livestock??

Not unless he was raising ducks. I've had goldens all my life. They are good at retrieving but lousy hunters. Never met a golden that wouldn't come when called and as Aplumma said, it is better to make a friend by returning said dogs than to shoot the things. If you want something to blame, blame the owners, not the dogs.

My dogs got out once when a Bell tech was in the back yard working on the pole and neglected to close the gate when he left. Had this resulted in my dogs getting shot, much, much more press would have resulted. However I would have paid for any damages they caused.

I don't know what the dogs were doing, but knowing the breed as I do, I would be very surprised if they were doing anything that could result in harm to the animals. A golden can cost up to $2,000. Don't know how much a cow or pig is worth.

I second that notion. We've also had retrievers all our lives. They may raise a fuss within sight of a large animal, but I don't see them causing any harm. Without knowing to what extent the dogs were harrassing the livestock, and what kind of livestock it was, no one should make assumptions. I can't honestly a golden retriever causing any physical harm to a cow or pig. I'm sure dogs can cause come considerable commotion among cows, especially milking cows and calfs, but I just can't see a golden retriever physically hurting such an animal.

We do need to know the full story. If the farmer was within his rights, I sure hope he used good judgement before shooting such an animal at close range. Otherwise, I'd wheel him into the nut house.. The owners were careless no doubt. If the owners knew there were livestock in the area, the should have been placed on a leash. Seems a shame that all this could have been prevented had the owners kept their dogs within eye sight, or tied to a leash.

To me, this is news, because I can't even fathom someone shooting an animal at close rance with an otherwise peacefull nature.

Pretty freaky s**t if you ask me. Who the heck is this guy anyway?? Can we get a picture of this farmer John??

cheers

HD

I probably would have shot the dog had it come on my property. Its just a dog, plenty more to be had at any animal shelter.

Whoah! Strong words there mate. Your name's real original too. I high stick a nymph through a pool... I guess you point your rod tip down and just strip am I right?? yeeeesshhh

Dogs are pack animals. And when they get in the pack mode the may not act the same way you expect them to act at home.

Any dog can be aggressive even more so when in a pack situation. Yup Rizzo even your cute cuddly Poodle is(was) a hunting breed dog even though they are no longer considered in the sporting group.

I doubt anybody would be raising this much fuss if it were a “pit bull”. BSL is Bull.

A farmer somewhat near me uses Great Pyrenees to protect his flock, I’m sure Rick can give a good background on this breed. I’d hate to see what would have happened to the two goldens if they had gone after this farmers flock. While normally gentle and layed back the LGD’s can and will fight to the death if necessary. Normally the predator will back down when confronted by the size of the big dog(s).

totally legal for a farmer to protect his livestock from any dog even if it has a pink tutu on and i agree with this 100%. when you mess with a mans way of supporting his family you should be prepared to suffer the consequences. if the dog owners would have kept the dogs on their property and none of this would have happened.

100% the dog owners fault, not the dogs.

ok folks, first of all i am a dog owner, i own several dogs as a matter of fact, Boston terriers and blue heelers. i am also a cattle, hog, and now goat farmer. i love my dogs, but i also have seen what they can become when in groups (packs). they are not the same animal when they are with others, they are often more aggressive and more likely to get in trouble. we have had several area farmers flocks of sheep nearly wiped out by stray dogs. one guy lost around 30 head in 1 night. once a dog gets a kill, they will usually continue this type of behavior. i have read all the post on this and can see where people without an agricultural background may see this as some crazy blood thirsty farmer murdering two defenseless pets, and it might be, BUT it also might be some guy thats not going to have much of a christmas for his kids this year because his source of hard earned income has be destroyed. Farming isnt an easy life, there isnt much glory and the pay isnt near what it should be.

also go look at the price of livestock, yall are making it sound like they are worth alot of money, slaughter cows go for -20.00-51.00, milk cows go for 50.00-125.00, lambs 41-109.00

by the way, these prices are per 100 lbs of body weight, and for common animals. i worked a purebred cattle sale about a month ago, the top lot brought $27,000 and seven day old frozen embryo's were bringing anywhere from 300 to 700 per egg. livestock can be very expensive, there is a lot of cost in producing that steak that you eat! the farmer has a small proffit if any in the product that they sell. even at stockyard prices a beef cow may weigh 1200 lbs and @51.oo that is still over 600 dollars that the animal is worth. How many of you have that much money that you let your dog chew on a stack of 100 $ bills?

just my thoughts on the matter.

jason