Walleye in the Grand in Kitchener

jediangler

Fishing has always been a passion for my family. My Grandfather took his 7 sons fishing and they passed the addiction on to my cousins, my brother and I. On Sunday I had the opportunity to take two of my cousins out to wet a line in the Grand river in Kitchener. In order to keep the tradition going for another generation, I took my 7yr old daughter along as well. She set the pace as we walked the 1km distance down the trail.

1127107cuzn.jpg

The weather was perfect and the conversation was all fishing. From left to right, our cousin from Calgary, walleyeguy, our cousin from Barrie, wabbiman, my brother Joonmoon and his wife Goog.

1127107cuzn1.jpg

Walleyeguy was excited to fish for smallmouth bass, for a change, since they don't have any in Alberta. He catches this little bass on his first cast with a 1/8oz white jig & grub combo.

1127107cuzn3.jpg

Wabbiman wasn't too far behind with his 1st smallie of the afternoon.

1127107cuzn4.jpg

Then Goog caught what was probably the biggest one of the day.

1127107cuzn2.jpg

Followed closely by brother Joonmoon who caught this one on a tube jig.

1127107cuzn5.jpg

I was the last one to land a fish despite hooking and losing the first 4. I quickly returned it to the river before anyone could take my picture. Everyone caught a few more of the same size and lost some larger ones that jumped and spit the hook.

Uncle Joonmoon kept my little one entertained by catching some sticklebacks and a crayfish with her butterfly net as well as a fuzzy caterpillar for her to play with.

Then walleyeguy's rod is bent over pretty good. I kept expecting to see a good smallie break the surface, but the fish stayed down. Then he says "it's a walleye". Now my brother and I have been fishing the Grand in KW for over 25yrs and never caught a walleye in this section of the river. I assured walleyeguy that it must be a sucker or a pike. Then he lands this 22.5" beauty.

1127107cuzn6.jpg

We shouldn't have been that surprised though since our Uncle, walleyeguy's Dad, used to have a gridlock of boats and trailers in his driveway from walleye tournament wins in Alberta. The apple doesn't fall far from this family tree.

So after 2hrs of fishing, and a good hike up and down the trail, we all went for a family BBQ. Can't wait to do it again sometime. Both walleyeguy and wabbiman expressed an interest in catching their first muskies, so hopefully we can get them up to the Kawarthas next time.

Edited by jediangler

Very cool to see the Walleyes comming into the upper Grand.

There are a few holes from Fergus to Winterbourne that hold some eyes but

the ones I get are never that big and are few and far between.

They were catching them in Belwood this year aswell...

Looks like you guys have been having some nice weather.

Very cool report!

What a beauty day it was. We all caught several fish and had some catching up to do as well. But that eye was the topper ... not bad for a hour and half of fun on the Grand.

Can't wait to put two more anglers on to a few Skis, prolly have to wait til next year. B)

I have been fishing the Grand in that area for 20 years and I am absolutely stunned a walleye that size came out of that area of the Grand. I had heard stories of incedental catches of very small ones out of the Conestogo. Great catch, wtg!