Kawartha report

frozen-fire

So, now that the salmon fishing has really died down over the last couple weeks. Venturing north into the Kawarthas seemed to be a good option. I decided to hit up some fall slab fatties! I've always loved crappie fishing as it was how I was brought into the world of fishing since I was 5.

Never really fished this lake before, so it was a new experience. For once I wasn't fishing for panfish with my slip float set to about 2 feet, but it was more like 3-4 feet due to the deeper water there.

Right when the sun goes down, the fish seriously start to feed. When I say serious, I mean it's like every cast there will be a strike. Doesn't last too long though...only about an hour. After that, they get more sparse... I'm assuming a monster school of slabs move in and then slowly move out again.

These fish aren't small either...about 10-12 inches average. My uncle landed the biggest one I've ever seen the other day. Just shy of 2 lbs and about 15 inches long. That was a hog... it's mouth was huge.

Here are a couple keepers to satisfy my hunger.

DSC00631.jpg

Before heading home, I decide to cast it really close to shore... like 2-3 feet away. I twitch the float and then see it float sideways... usually this means that the fish has taken the lure, but isntead of heading back down into the depths, it is coming up, so the float goes sideways. I set the hook, but it's heavy. I'm thinking I have either snagged a rock, or got a big ball of weeds. But it starts to fight back. I'm going nuts cause this is my flimsy ultralight setup with 4lb mono. After a couple splashes, I bring the fish closer. I'm thinking it's a freakin' record slab. Turns out it's this pretty decent wallie! Definitely my personal best in length. A solid 25 inches. It had the biggest walleye head ever though. It's mouth was huge and could pretty much fit my fist in it. Too bad that the fish was terribly skinny. I thought that fall was when these fish start to FEED?!?! If this fish was in proportion, it'd be my new pb for sure!

Here it is. I don't think the pic does it justice though.

DSC00625.jpg

Edited by frozen-fire