Bly and I bought a boat today!!!

ccmtcanada

Well, after checking online classifed ads for the past month, we have finally purchased a used 14' fishing boat. We looked at countless ads, sorted through lots of PM's from fellow OFNers, went to see a few, even considered buying new, but at the end of the day, more debt and payments was the last thing we wanted to do.

Anyhow, there was a boat that looked interesting in Hamilton, so I called Gerritt to see if he'd help us out because I have no idea what to look for or even ask with boats/motors. We met up with him at 1:30 this afternoon and everything checked out just fine.....well.....except for the trailer. I got the guy to agree to knock a few hundred off the asking price because I wasn't interested in the trailer. So, this is what $1300 bought for us!!

Here are the specs....

- 1983 14 foot Mirrocraft Aluminum in good shape...no leaks.

- 1983 18hp Mercury Motor

- 3 bench seats with storage

- Humminbird fish finder

- 2 removable fishing seats

- Bow and Stern lighting

- Rod holders

- Gas Tank

- Boat Cover

- Connector from the motor to trickle charge the battery

Also, thrown in was the wiring to convert the motor to electric start (just needs the starter), a full tank of extra gas, complete manual for the motor (shows part by part diagrams and part numbers).

This motor sat for 2 years without being started....it started after 5 pulls of the cord. Gerritt was pretty impressed with that. He checked some water to see if it was cloudy (I'm sure you all know what for, but I had no idea....LOL) and the motor seems to be in great condition.

The trailer was not in any condition for me to take the boat home, so, I'm now in the market for a 14' boat trailer. Does anyone have one out there cheap??

boat3-1.jpg

boat2-1.jpg

boat1-1.jpg

boat4.jpg

I want to thank everyone who has offered their boats for sale, advice, forwarded boat classified ads, offers to come and check out boats with us etc.....

So...thanks Gerritt, for coming out and helping us today....thanks to Fishnsled, Fishindevil, MTP, Percher, Pigeonfisher, TJ, Evster, Steve_Paul, GNoddy, Nipissing, Slowpoke, Kevin, hometownhandyman, Charlied, Metisfisherman and anyone else who has offered their boats or help.

With a bit of luck we'll test her on the waters next weekend!!! It's not the prettiest boat, but it'll do us just fine out on the Kawarthas. Just need that trailer....hmm....details details!!

Oh yeah...Fishnsled...I wont need you tomorrow to test out that other boat....thanks for the offer!!

Edited by ccmtcanada

Well, welcome to the world of boat ownership!

Remember, BOAT = Break out another thousand......:)

Not so true in your case I don't think, but upgrades and toys never seem to end!! :)

You guys thought you were addicted to fishing? It has only just begun!!

Have fun in the new toy......remember to be safe out there. If you need any help or advice, don't be afraid to ask, I live just north of you, and have had boats my whole life.

Sinker

:thumbsup_anim:YOU'VE COME A LONG WAY, BABY!! Started big . . . carp in the 20's . . . . salmon in the 20's . . . be prepared to step aside muskie king (Lew) I think I see one for the record books on the horizon!! Now all ya's need is a mascot! (Has YOUR l'il guy got any relatives for adoption Lew?)

Well congrats guys !!!!!!! :whistling::clapping: she looks like a fine fishing vessel....and im sure there is a few fish just waiting to try her out....live well i mean..LOL..LOL..LOL.. and it will be fine for the kawarthas ,and even in picton harbor,merland park area too. :w00t: ...if you ever needd any questions aswered i can help,or if you have any ideas about mounting any gadgets,let me know...and i will keep an eye out for a trailer,is there something you are looking for was the trailer not in too good of shape???? cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

She will be a fine vessel Cliff..... The trailer was in bad shape... and was badly bent... and the frame/suspension was rubbing the inside of one tire... it has a odd suspension system to say the least.. the leaf springs are mounted to the axle... as opposed to the frame.... hard to explain....

The boat over all is in good shape, a couple dings here and there but nothing to be concerned about.

The motor started just fine for me... once I got the primer hard.... seemed to take forever though!! the gas tank is up front! 15' of hose to pull gas through! LOL.. the motor was VERY clean under the cowling, the skeg had a ding in it nothing to hinder performance, Overall I think it will be a great little starter boat for Cliff and Carol!! and their thinking was in line with mine.. even if it lasts them a few years they are still saving money as opposed to renting a boat by the week @ Lakair for example...

The water Cliff mentioned about.... I was just making sure the impeller was operational.. (I wasnt looking for cloudiness)

I did ask about the lower end... perhaps there is the confusion as to cloudiness...

It is a good rig for them IMHO and should serve them just fine for small inland lakes!

Now.... I cant wait to see the reports from her!!

Good job guys! and I look forward to seeing you guys in the VERY near future.

Gerritt.

Congratulations!!! That's a very nuckin' fice boat y'all got for a starter!!!... and for the price y'all paid it was a very good deal!

If y'all haven't checked the lower unit oil in the motor yet, you may want to consider it before taking it out for the first time. It tells you how to do it in the manual, and is a simple procedure. Reading the manual to that motor and familiarizing your self with the different parts... and tinkering with it will be a plus for you when you take it out for the first time. You may even want to go ahead and change the spark plugs and fuel filter.

Owning a boat has been one of the most enjoyable past times in my life.

Start out slow, be safe, learn the lakes, and keep an eye on that depthfinder! Lake and river maps will help you immensely until you get to know the different bodies of water.

Again... congratulations!!!... have fun!!!... and be safe!!!

I'm looking forward to the pics and reports!

btw?... where are you launching for the first time?... somebody may need to be there to watch that... ;)

Congrats Cliff and Carole!

Can you give me the phone number for this guy, I need new carpeting in my living room! I like the seat bases. It appears they lock into the channel along the side of the bench and you can move from side to side as you wish. Neat idea allowing you to balance the boat with ease. It looks like a nice cover too.

If you are willing to spend $895 for a new trailer, CAS Marine in Ayr (west of Cambridge) has several in stock. I'll have an eye out for used as well.

-Brian

Congratulations on the "rad"ride. That's a great looking boat. Really nice and deep. Well. nowhere is safe now. When you guys were just shore fishing others could move away from the shore so they could catch fish too. Now that you have a boat they'll be no fish for the rest of us. I've been looking too and just put a deposit on one of my own. Picking it up on Wednesday and I'll post pics then. Mine seems quite boring compared to yours though Cliff. Nice deal. Oh yeah .... save a few fish for the rest of us to catch please.