driving across to the states

Raf

I believe so.

I went across last year with drivers license and health card (might be useless)

Make sure you have 2 peices of I.D.

License and birth certificate

Bring some credit cards.

Basically, bring everything you've got if you don't have time to get a visa.

I'm in the process of getting my citizenship papers again (I am a citizen but my citizenship card got destroyed). I have supporting docs but not the actual card. No birth certificate. Am I beat? I sure hope not, this is a new job requirement.

If you're going in peak time you might want to try the Rainbow bridge instead of the Queenston-Lewiston... slightly less wait times and it's busy down there these days...

If you do have a passport, bring that... I think you get waved through a little faster...

thanks for the link jonl

this is what i found on the site

Beginning January 31, 2008, the Department plans to move towards WHTI implementation at land and sea ports of entry by ending the routine practice of accepting oral declarations of citizenship alone.

what i gather is that they still accept oral declaration (although some documentation would be nice) of citizenship at land & sea crossings. hopefully if i bring supporting documents with me (but not the actual card) I can get across with those in addition to photo ID.

I'm in the process of getting my citizenship papers again (I am a citizen but my citizenship card got destroyed). I have supporting docs but not the actual card. No birth certificate. Am I beat? I sure hope not, this is a new job requirement.

If the driving across the States is related to employment in the US, be careful what you offer as your reason for entering the States. They're protective of their own when it comes to employment, as it should be, and I know of several folks who were refused entry because they didn't have the proper work docs (visas etc).

JF

thanks for the link jonl

this is what i found on the site

what i gather is that they still accept oral declaration (although some documentation would be nice) of citizenship at land & sea crossings. hopefully if i bring supporting documents with me (but not the actual card) I can get across with those in addition to photo ID.

Divers licence will suffice until summer at the earliest, NO passport required for Canadians yet.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency/whti-ivh...restre-eng.html

Raf what Goran stated is correct, but from what I hear most of the time they are just asking for DL's from the canadians coming south. It's kind of up to who you get at the border. I told you about our experiences this year and coming home the last time we only had to show DL's and my truck registration.

Good Luck

If the driving across the States is related to employment in the US, be careful what you offer as your reason for entering the States. They're protective of their own when it comes to employment, as it should be, and I know of several folks who were refused entry because they didn't have the proper work docs (visas etc).

JF

Thanks John. The company I work for has offices in the states that require my expertise. I'm not sure I'll require a work visa but I'll speak to my HR dept.

Thanks John. The company I work for has offices in the states that require my expertise. I'm not sure I'll require a work visa but I'll speak to my HR dept.

Just tell them you came to spend money

Latex gloves

lol Pete

Edited by Whopper

We just came back from Carlisle and they wanted both drivers license and birth certificate. My buddy doesnt have a drivers license so he gave his health card. And they are really checking and asking a lot of questions.

Raf my mother was in the same boat as you, her citizenship papers were destroyed in hurrican Katrina in 05, she moved back here after losing everything and she just finally recieved hers about 6 months ago. The government dragged its heals looking for proof, but allowed her to work and gladly took her taxes. She couldnt even transfer her plates on her car. Good luck.