Another Big Bass Fall Fishing Report from the Big City

Hey folks.

Quick report from last weekend.

A friend of mine and I had planned to rent a boat on Scugog or Simcoe but seeing as the forecast was wet and windy we decided to head down to my local spot - the Toronto Islands. Completely forgot that the islands ferry is now on a Winter timetable!! This means there are only ferries to Wards Island - which means a very long walk to some of my favourite spots on Centre Island and Hanlans.

Anyhow - considering the weather the fishing was not that bad but certainly not easy. As is typical down at the islands at this time of year, it was a bit slow and spots were a bit hit and miss - we had to work hard for bites. That said we managed to catch some decent perch and a few small bass. Tried fishing for pike for a while with deep diving xraps and spinnerbaits but had no follows or hits. However the lures did draw the attention of some big bass, which my friend and picked off with my favourite float and worm combo! We managed about 4 or 5 largemouth bass between 2-4+lbs. The best fish went 4lbs 2oz on the scales and 19in in length - my fourth 4lb+ bass in as many weeks. :clapping: Still waiting for that 5lber but time is running out.

Normally I wouldn't photoshop the backgrounds of my photos as it detracts from a nice image but seeing as I only have a few weeks left of fishing some of my favourite spots before I leave Canada for home I am keeping the exact locations to myself for now. Sorry. :whistling:

Here's the pics...

med_gallery_354_52_112677.jpg

gallery_354_52_86675.jpg

Thanks mate. Right back at you TBayboy! How do you get your avatar to have revolving images?

Those bass will go hungry without me feeding them worms each week! LOL

I would say you've had an even better year than me - the only thing you don't seem to have caught this year is a carp, if I'm not mistaken? You (plus Cliff, Rich and a few others) seem to be the most versatile all-round anglers on the board. Will be sure to keep tabs on you guys and your reports from across the pond!

Edited by OO7

Thanks for the comments guys. Went with the snowy approach in photoshop as a bit of a laugh really. It felt cold enough that day for snow!

I hear you Jigger, I didn't want to photoshop the whole thing as I know how that annoys people. Fortunately, though there are some many willows on the islands in completely different places, and all of them can have the CN Tower behind them from a certain angle! It's a big tower you know - it has a habit of getting in shots taken in so many different locations.

Great catch Gavin. That is one beauty fish.

We're sure going to miss your reports from around Ontario. Hopefully you can continue them when you move. I've always wanted to walk along the banks of the River Severn and fish for barbel or try my hand at fishing for the Fat Lady at St. Ives Lagoon.

You will be missed

Hey 007, the winter ferry schedule DOES include service to Hanlans. It is only Centre Island that shuts down. Wards service is more frequent however.

Great buckets you got there, I had heard they kept hitting up until the snow fall :thumbsup_anim:

Barnie - unfortunately there is NO service to Hanlans at weekends (only weekdays) when they are operating the winter schedule. :huh::dunno: Trust me I wouldn't choose to walk 4-5kms from Wards to some fishing spots if there was a ferry that would get me within a five minute walk! Eventhough I need the exercise :mellow:

I've caught largemouth bass at the islands quite late in October but never in November (hopefully this year will be different). By November there are very few places within casting distance of shore that they can find cover to hide and ambush prey as the weeds have all gone. That said there are usually a few pike cruising around in November.

Edited by OO7