Anyone ever suggested creating a nonfishing discussion area?

scuro

I don't know about the rest of you but I'd prefer to have a fishing discussion area and a general discussion area. Then one can choose to read fishing threads, non-fishing threads, or both. Has anyone else ever suggested this?

Edited by scuro

Scuro, I think that one of the reasons that this board is so popular is that anything goes! You don't have to click on different topics to read what is new. What is new simply stays on page one. If nobody is interested, the topic drops off quickly to older pages.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'd prefer to have a fishing discussion area and a general discussion area. Then one can choose to read fishing threads, non-fishing threads, or both. Has anyone else ever suggested this?

...the hell you say???

danbo Posted Today, 09:34 PM

Actually..there's more to life than fishing..

I don't think so Danbo...

Some new guy comes up with the idea every few months. The mods really appreciate input.

Okay, I'm picking on you, but cleanly and in fun.

We're glad to have you aboard and I understand why you came up with the suggestion.

Hey as far as being a member of this message board...I'm older then dirt. I must have joined the old board over five years ago but changed my name when they changed the format of the board.

Edited by scuro

if it ain't broken don't fix it

but we have lots of sub boards already

rum Topics Replies Last Post Info

Talk about fishing, hunting, the great outdoors or whatever you like in here! Keep it clean!

Subforums: Announcements

Forum Led by: Administrators, Root Admin 9,514 104,495 Last Post Today, 09:04 AM

In: Fishing Stores -Niagara Falls ...

By: Fishn Technishn

The best contests on any fishing site anywhere!

Monthly give-aways by some of North Americas biggest and best tackle and outdoors companies.

Check here for this months prizes! 2 12 Last Post Oct 9 2007, 07:22 PM

In: Win A Subscription To Esox Ang...

By: teresawebinger

Add your favourite pictures of fishing, nature and cool scenery shots. Gets tips on taking and editing your images.

Forum Led by: Administrators, Root Admin 59 232 Last Post Yesterday, 11:43 PM

In: Not Pictures.......video this ...

By: Pamela Dallaire

Find a fishing partner for the day or for a trip.

Forum Led by: Administrators, Root Admin, Gerritt 141 367 Last Post Yesterday, 08:25 PM

In: this saturday...

By: Crazyhook

This area contains help and information and is the place to ask questions about the board, computer issues or assistance with surfing the net.

Forum Led by: Gerritt, Corey 122 618 Last Post Yesterday, 10:28 PM

In: Looking for ATX power supply w...

By: irishfield

Buy, sell or trade all your stuff here! Boating, fishing, hunting and other stuff for sale.

Subforums: Boats, Motors and Supplies, Fishing Tackle and Equipment, Miscellaneous

Forum Led by: Administrators, Root Admin 368 894 Last Post Today, 08:04 AM

In: very clean 16 foot aluminum fo...

By: aniceguy

List your business here. Offer a member discount to increase responses! Topics are auto-locked so please respond by PM or email.

Forum Led by: Administrators, Root Admin 54 8 Last Post Yesterday, 01:37 PM

In: CANADIAN SILVER COINS

By: fishmaniac

Expand

> OFC Tournament

Collapse

> OFC Tournament

Forum Topics Replies Last Post Info

This is the main area for the annual fishing tourney. In here you will find the rules, sign-up information and team chatter. 31 157 Last Post Oct 10 2007, 12:25 PM

In: 2007 OFC Tournament Leader Bo...

By: fishinonthebrain

Here's the latest entries, rosters and information on the teams

Subforums: Team 1, Team 2, Team 3, Team 4, Team 5, Team 6, Team 7, Team 8, Team 9, Team 10 205 991 Last Post Oct 13 2007, 11:22 PM

In: Great job guys

By: kevin

Edited by Terry

I've been to other messageboards where there are so many subforums I have no idea where to even start.

I like this format....if a post isn't fishing related then a NF is supposed to be put in your topic title anyways...that way I can choose not to read it if I decide to do so.

Not a bad suggestion Chris, but

I think the mods like it the way it is, that way, when people start talking non-fishing stuff and the board gets riled up on a certain topic, they can step in, shut it down easy and say... "it's not fishing related." :P:P:P:whistling:

:wallbash::wallbash::thumbsup_anim::clapping::canadian:

I've spent some time in a non-fishing forum with members of long standing where the mods can move an off topic thread to another section if it takes on a life of it's own but is worth preserving. That way the majority only have to monitor one section but can follow a thread they like if it gets moved. Otherwise they just monitor the main section. It stands to reason that folks who become familiar with one another may want to branch out in their discussions.

I suppose the other concern is whether bandwidth and storage are an issue here?

JF

Most of the time if it has NF it means NON FISH it makes it easy to see that it will not be a fishing related item. Reading the title is another clue but sometimes people get cryptic so it is not as easy. If you accidentally get tricked into reading a NF story don't panic alot of times it will be as enjoyable as a fishing story especially if you have mete the people face to face at some point and you actually do care what they are doing in life. I think it is the Non Fishing stores that gives this site the SOUL that it has that allows people to laugh and cry together and help each other out when it is needed most. Just ask Maureen if Tyler wants it separated or the family that lost their house or Chuck when he was in the hospital with a broken neck and the many others that have shared the loss and the joys of new boats and loved ones. Yes I know you are asking for a separate place not a ban on these stories but it will mean just another place to click on and read and for the ones that do not read them we will lose your valuable views and input.

Art

This question of changing the format of OFC is brought up more often than what hand should you crank a bait caster with.

OFC is now, and always has been, one of the most popular fishing sites anywhere, and there's a very good reason for that......we like it just the way it is.

As was just pointed out by aplumma, its normally very easy to tell what a thread is about just by reading the title, but if you go into it and decide it's something that your not interested in, it's just as easy to stop reading it and move onto the next thread.

Many times a thread will begin as fishing related, then gets side-tracked onto something totally unrelated, so would that thread then have to be delegated to another page ??

Nope, this board has been working VERY VERY well, for MANY years, just exactly the way it is right now, so why don't we just go on enjoying things that work perfectly, and leave all the changes to the boards that are going downhill.

Just my dime though

YOU SAID IT PERFECT LEW !!!!!!!! the board is great just the way it is. B):P ...people always think that the gress is greener ,on the other side of the fence !!! :wallbash::dunno: ....and most of the time its not.. :blink: ..its good to see that the majority still likes things the way they are...cheers everyone :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: