Would you rent a prospector tent vs a cottage?

irishfield

If you a have a place to store them why not build a few ice bungalos and throw them on the lake in the winter?

There's virtually no overhead and the things are always booked.

Pretty sure the guys who run Blue Water leave theirs stashed on the shores of Cross Lake year round.

Just another thought Wayne if the idea is to generate some income up there for whatever you ultimately have in mind....

Thanks everyone and Mike...That would mean I'd have to be up there all winter. Not gonna happen, at least at this point. I have 7 months to get a full years work done here in the shop/hangar..... to continue doing what I've been doing (goofing off for 5 months a year! LOL)

Edited by irishfield

Wayne, You can easily sell this to folks who normally camp or tent, but this will be a tough sell to those who are accustomed to cottages. SWMBO for eg. How could you accommodate multiple couples in there? Not my group, but others might enjoy.

i can't see myself personnaly paying too much for either, now don't get me wrong, i understand why people do, but personally, IF I were to pay hundreds of dollars to stay somewhere for a week (i can't see myself doing it) but if I were, it would definately be a cottage, a prospectors tent is very nice but i can and have set myself up in "panel camps" i've built myself, the one i have now is 12'x20' plywood walls w/ foil insulation wood stove, propane stove BBQ fridge, 4 bunks etc 3 layers of vent tubing for a roof, only cost approx 300$ to build will last at least 15 years and i can set it up on any piece of crown land i want for FREE, in about 2 hours, and use it for fishing and hunting, all fits on one trailer

but that's just me

if i wanted to do what i think you want do irish, i would build a small but cozy cottage, maybe 2, if im a gonna pay for something i want as nice as i can get

if i wanted to do what i think you want do irish, i would build a small but cozy cottage, maybe 2, if im a gonna pay for something i want as nice as i can get

Thanks WJ..but if you read it all you'll see I can't build any cottages. I'll have a couple years, or more, of OMB applications, hearings, appeals, etc before that's gonna happen. They can't stop me from building platforms and tents though. Not even sure I could get away with what TJ has done using 2 x 4 walls/rafters. I may have to use the alum tube frame that the tent company sells with their prospector and Jutland tents to keep the township planner in check.

Your portable camp set up sounds good...I'd like to know where you buy stuff to do it for $300 though..with plywood almost $50 a sheet, etc.

I'm also looking at the link Mike the Pike sent me...waiting to hear how many bank managers I need to coral to buy a couple of those folding/portable homes. They're pretty neat.

Still don't know if I own this parcel of land...we ran into a week long snag/delay with a trust that has 1/3rd ownership in this patent land. They need to have it appraised before they're willing to sign off on behalf of the trust.

Edited by irishfield

• 3 weeks later...

Well three weeks of sign back extensions (thanks to a trust fund executor wanting appraisals so he doesn't get sued after the fact if it's worth more than it sold for) and I finally know that I will own, for all intents and purposes, the most expensive campsite on Lake Temagami. I've now got all winter to figure out what the hell I'm gonna do with it...but I couldn't turn a blind eye to 26 acres of waterfront property and 4500 feet + of shoreline at only 40% of listing price! Giving some thoughts to, instead of tents, to haul a couple RV trailers out with slide outs etc...for similar money as going the tent route. As long as the tires stay on they're portable by simply calling the barge service so they can't stop me there either. I'll give them a choice...tents/trailers/houseboats tied to shore... or just give me building permits for the property. Those folding houses Mike the Pike linked look really neat (and I bet really expensive), but I guess the company is doing so well there's no need for them to send me the brochure and price lists I asked for.

If anyone is considering Northern cottage property...now's the time to start looking. Americans are starting to sell out...stuff that's been in families for a 100 years etc. Now that they get $105,000US/$100,000Cdn it's a no brainer, compared to say 4 years ago when they would have got $65,000US. This land I bought has been in the family for about a 100 years. The 72 and 73 year old sisters and their deceased sister (trust) have never seen the property they just sold (they also don't know whom the appraiser was :o ) Also, when Glen and I were out on Georgian Bay on Saturday I'd never seen so many for sale signs on cottages in the Honey Harbour area in the 20+ years I've been boating it.

Edited by irishfield

Thanks Mike...one of the VERY few publicly owned pieces of mainland on the lake. Now if you're interested...there's another 46 acres way up the lake owned by the same little old ladies...listed at the same price..has Ferguson Mountain as a backdrop and I'd suspect U could get it for what I paid..maybe even less. It's gonna be a real fight...as the canoe camps have used it like their own land for decades and will be hard to throw/keep off of it. I've got one campsite on mine that is shown on every Temagami map, as everyone thinks it's crown land. Time to paint that old sportspal that's rotting out in the back field bright pink...to leave on the shoreline with a couple lawn chairs so everyone paddles right by! LOL

Nice congrats on the Purchase... Personally I think that at a somewhat discounted price... 70% or so of that of a cottage I would bite... I feel its enough of a discount to make it worth choosing the tent over the cottage... Fishing of course is the first consideration... but if thats alright I could see myself there in a heartbeat...