Would you rent a prospector tent vs a cottage?

irishfield

Wayne, I camp alot and rent a cottage once a year and I have to agree with Terry. If I have a week, I want the creature comforts of a cottage, like a fridge, stove, running water, hydro etc. .

Warren

As I said it would have propane..stove/fridge/ etc. As for hydro..you aren't gonna get that at most cottages on Temagami. Part of what people pay BIG dollars for up the main lake. Like the 2 acre island that's for sale with a "rustic" cabin for 1.2 million right now!

If you're strictly talking about Lake Temagami then I "might" consider it, but only if the prospecter tent was in a completely remote and 100% private location with no neighbors nearby, otherwise I'd just rent a cottage.

In general I love prospecter tents, they're cool.

sounds like weekend renters would be easy to find and maybe a few who would spend a week.

Personally we ( family) camp a fair amount but rarely spend more than 3 days in a row .

With a dry floor , larger structure , beds , stove , fridge etc I could see us spending a week no problem .

How far from the closest road acess , being remote may appeal to some and being closer to 'town' may be something otherr are looking for .

As far as what to charge $500 per week sounds about right

TB

I would certainly stay in a Prospectors tent... without question.. However if I was renting it for say a week, it would have to be at somewhat of a discount compared to a cottage..say 10-20%?? or you could make up that difference by including launching and docking into the overall price..

Either way a great idea Wayne! Let me know when it is a done deal! and count me amongst your first clients

Gerritt.

Wayne,

I'd stay in a prospectors tent no problem. I'll even be a part of your pilot/test program by staying in it for say a week...and you wouldn't even have to pay me.... :lol:

Seriously though, money is tight for us, so we usually camp. Cottages are generally out of the question for us, so for us to rent something like this, it would have be at discounted rate compared to a cottage. I could see us paying maybe $500 to $700 per week.....or maybe $300 for a Friday to Sunday deal.

Wayne, I would say that I would rent it no problem for a guys trip. But, when you get into couples trips for a week or more I would say that unless you are renting way cheaper than a cottage, not many wives/girlfriends would go for it. Just my opinion but I know that the wives I go away with enjoy the cottage we rent because it is so much like a home....

Sherriff

:D

I've printed that out for black mail purposes Andy !

Thanks everyone...keep your thoughts coming, as this "project" will be many years in the making in one form or another.... if it happens at all. The platform/tent idea came about as it's a legal use of the land and I'm looking at ways to cover property tax and OMB expenses somehow while I fight for severances of the property and building permits. Not sure at the cost of these tents whether I'd be ahead just to leave the land vacant... while I jump thru hoops.. :dunno:

Edited by irishfield

Yes it sounds like a great idea wayne,. :whistling::worthy::worthy: ...and good-luck on the land you are hoping to buy...man thats a big chunck of the canadian sheild LOL..LOL..LOL man thats a sweet idea to rent something like that out it seens everybody is saying the same rent of around $500.00 to $850.00...i dont think you would have any probs filling the time slots...cheers & good-luck :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

I rent a couple of places a year... although I love the creature comforts of cottages, what I have found is the lakes they are on do not tend to yeild many fish. Over population and fishing may have something to do with that. From looking at the pictures that you have posted the prospectors tent seems like a solution to many of the concerns one might have while camping in regards to bugs, food storage and preparation and allow for you to see a very quick return on atleast your taxes every year.

Would love to see some inside pictures and a screened porch on the front for card playing in the evenings as well as a reduction of bugs inside ... your idea is a very good one... although let me say this

I have 70 acres up north with a trailer and 10x10 bunkie... in the 10 years I have owned it, I have offered my family/friends the use of it... but because there is no hydro ( run off generators) they have never once taken me up on the offer... seems the more work involved in using a place the more ppl shy away from feeling confident enough to spend their vacation time there.

Consider making it as user friendly as possible and if you go this route, put me on the list for a week definately.

Cheers and good luck

Jen

well... i am cheap :D and need little more than my tent and sleeping bag if camping alone or with the boys. bringing the significant other into the equation, she'd likely want a cottage with solid walls. so i likely would not rent a prospector tent unless it were very inexpensive.

As long as it's clean and in good shape I'd rent it.

I would be ok with the price if it came in around 65% - 75% of a cottage rental.

Was talking to the girlfriend on the phone while reading this post at work so I asked her if

she'd stay in one. She said she would as long as it was clean. So hurry up will ya before she changes her mind !!!

Hookset.

To be honest, I'd only be willing to pay about 20% of a comparable cottage (ie 160 - 200)

At 600 I would rather spend the 200 extra and get the cottage.

I think this is the first time ever that I have agreed with Kirk

but I do agree

All is fair and well when the weather is in your favour, but, when it turns pizzy for 2 days or more, you know the soupy, foggy weather, well then things can turn just a bit sour. I've lived in my fair share of tents, in good weather and bad. I do my camping in a 22 foot trailer now and even then after a couple days of miserable weather, you have that damp feeling that gets into everything. I would respectfully pass, regardless of the price.