When does it become art?

SlowPoke

When you snap the picture, it only becomes well known after you die. LOL

Seeing the beauty around us is all it really takes, The picture I posted yesterday of the bench at the beach is just down the road from here, yet when my wife and son saw the picture, they were blown away at the fact that it turned out so nice, they would of never thought that a picture there could be/would be so nice. Every moment in life can be impressionist art, just it's not usually captured, most are way to busy or don't appreciate it, brings to mine the saying "stop and smell the flowers".

I really enjoy these images but a question came to mind...

When does a photograph capturing a moment in time become impressionist art?

I see where you're coming from SlowPoke. These HDR images are more artistic than photographic. But it's something new that just happened to coincide with the opening of our little photography forum here on OFC. We all still have our original shots that it took to compose these images. In fact I've posted a few of them for comparison. HDR is definitely the hot topic on here right now. But that will change. What's hot today might not be what's hot tomorrow. It's just a timing thing. In the meantime, I welcome any and all comments, photos, advice or questions about anything photography related on this forum. That's what it's here for. Thanks for joining us.

Keep 'em coming folks, I like the HDR stuff - It looks like a very cool tool.

I guess my point is with all the aids available to amateurs and pro's alike it's become an extension to photography that goes beyond recording a moment in time to an image depicting how we would like to remember the moment.

Deano, the bench image is terrific. To my eye you've created a fairytale-like image from a subject that hundreds of people could walk by daily not taking any notice.

-Brian

Funny you should ask that: I am just in the process of looking at that question with a group of art students. We seperate art from craft by intention, not quality. If your intention is to master a set of skills - in photography that would be light, depth, composition, focus... - to take the best photo possible then it's mastering craft. If your intention is to use those skills (mastery of craft) to convey some message beyond simply capturing an image, then it's art.