HDR photography

danc

What is HDR photography? It stands for "High Dynamic Range". I've been using a software program recently that creates these images. It called PHOTOMATIX. Basically, it allows you to combine 3 or more photos taken with different exposure values, combine them into 1 photo, and then create an incredible finished product by using a tone mapping program. Sounds simple, huh? Well it really is. To get your 3 base photos, it's a big help if your camera brackets. That means that it takes 3 or more photos with different exposure values automatically. I think most digital cameras will do this. I think that every one that I've owned does. You'll need a tripod so that all 3 photos are aligned perfectly. You can do this manually, but be very careful not to move the camera even the slightest bit, or your photos will not be lined up. You should also be set to aperture priority mode because you don't want your depth of field to change between the 3 shots. So, you open the photos in Photomatix (there's other programs that do this, including Photoshop CS2), combine them, and start playing with the sliders. It will bring out details that are impossible with one photo, unless you're using a $40,000.00 camera.

Here's a sample of my 3 original photos, and then the final result.

resize1.jpg

resize2.jpg

resize3.jpg

You'll notice that the images get a little darker from top to bottom. That's what bracketing does.

Here's the finished product of the 3 images combine, and then tweaked with tone mapping.

hdr1.jpg

Cool, huh?? Here's a few more samples from an outing this morning.

finished3.jpg

finished2.jpg

finished4.jpg

finished1.jpg

I've only been playing with this software for about a week now. I'm sure that I have lots more to learn. When you go to the PHOTOMATIX web site, be sure to click on the users gallery to see what a pro can do with this software. Have fun!!!

so with that software, you can make a photo have a clear close image and a clear background. That would be neat especially when your adding yourself in a beautiful scenery pic. Pretty neat stuff.

I guess not, tried it a bit, not doing what I was thinking, Still pretty neat though.

Edited by Deano

very cool stuff

I stuck my camera out my window and snapped a bracket shot and gave PHOTOMATIX PRO a try, sure makes the picture and every detail far and near stand out

I can't wait to find some real shots to take

thanks for the info

I think I will hang around this part of the message board

Very cool. I'm guessing that this is more for still life type shots? Didn't see any examples of any action shots. Anyone tried this with fast motion? There was the one example of the boat on the canal that worked very well. I'm assuming that this process works better with a tripod then without?

Very cool. I'm guessing that this is more for still life type shots? Didn't see any examples of any action shots. Anyone tried this with fast motion? There was the one example of the boat on the canal that worked very well. I'm assuming that this process works better with a tripod then without?

It's definitely for scenery/still life shots fishnsled. As stated, you're attempting to combine 3 of the exact same images. A tripod is almost a necessity. If your camera brackets more than 3 shots, even better. The tough part about having this software is the fact that you have to get out and take a bunch of bracket shots. You can't play around with shots just sitting on your hard drive. Another thing. This software does simply amazing things with clouds. So try to get some cloud shots next time you're out.

I posted the finished product of this shot earlier, but I'll post one of my bracketed shots here. Just to show the effect that HDR can have on clouds.

cloudseffect.jpg

sample2.jpg

I got the software last night and it's time to take a few bracketed shots. I am just wondering at the range to use? My camera will bracket up to +/- 1 in steps of ¼ . Does it "depend"? More the merrier? Or.. try it and let us know Raf.

Hey Raf,

Just experiment with all different exposures and see which make for the best results. Every situation is different so there is no set guidelines to taking these photos. I find I take sometimes 10 pictures at all different exposures and just use the ones that turned out the best.

It's definitely for scenery/still life shots fishnsled. As stated, you're attempting to combine 3 of the exact same images. A tripod is almost a necessity. If your camera brackets more than 3 shots, even better. The tough part about having this software is the fact that you have to get out and take a bunch of bracket shots. You can't play around with shots just sitting on your hard drive. Another thing. This software does simply amazing things with clouds. So try to get some cloud shots next time you're out.

I posted the finished product of this shot earlier, but I'll post one of my bracketed shots here. Just to show the effect that HDR can have on clouds.

cloudseffect.jpg

sample2.jpg

Thanks for the info Dan.

• 2 weeks later...