Mountain Home Lodge?

Mark Riesenbeck

Greetings.

I'm newly registered, but have been reading this forum for several years. I live in southern Ohio, but fish Ontario every chance I get (usually one or two weeks a year). I've been checking out the website for Mountain Home Lodge on Red Cedar Lake near Marten River, and am considering taking my group there next June.

Has anyone stayed at that camp, or fished that lake, that could recommend or warn against either.

If anyone has a suggestion for a camp/lake in that general area (about 3-4 hrs. north of Toronto), please let me know.

Thanks for any suggestions.

redsfan

• 5 months later...

Red Cedar is a great northern lake , alot of "don't wanna bust yer bubble" SLOT sized walleye to

be had, last season I had a real hard time keeping a snack for shore lunch my wife and I managed to keep 3 of 16 fish, a 22" is common.... opening weekend 'til mid June is best and the Eyes are easy to catch.

BEWARE of "Big Northern Pike" 15lbs is common.... on average the catch is over 5lbs.

BEWARE of ROCKS..... the bottom of that lake is up & down... Red Cedar wasn't always a lake it's man made by dams.... Just because there isn't a JUG floating in the lake to tell ya there's a rock there...doesn't mean there isn't a rock there ... they seem to grow during the winter ...

you might be in 35 feet one second and the next you've just ran a-ground...tons of deadheads too

they used to run logs through there for the lumber mills.

I live 35 minutes away and fish Red Cedar very often.

If you have a Canoe you might wanna take advantage of MNR stocked Brook Trout & Splake..lakes up towards hwy 11... 5 minutes from Mountain Home Lodge...

good luck on your quest ....

You might also wanna consider Lake Tomiko....VERY VERY good for walleye 'til mid June.

Randy.

Hey Redsfan, you can't go wrong with MHL. Been there bout 5 times over the years caught good size walleye and pike. They should have one of the better maps of the area. I think I have one around here somewhere that is laminated. They are good people there and should take care of you and your party.

Red Cedar is a great northern lake , alot of "don't wanna bust yer bubble" SLOT sized walleye to

be had, last season I had a real hard time keeping a snack for shore lunch my wife and I managed to keep 3 of 16 fish, a 22" is common.... opening weekend 'til mid June is best and the Eyes are easy to catch.

BEWARE of "Big Northern Pike" 15lbs is common.... on average the catch is over 5lbs.

I'm glad to hear this report from someone who knows the lake. Last May was the first time we fished Red Cedar and we did OK for walleye. But I think this was mainly due to the weather. It got real cold, real fast on Saturday night until the sun peeked out on Sunday afternoon.

At least that's what I'll blame it on!

We mainly fished the southern portion of the lake, not far from the access to MHL. Thinking of giving the northern portion some more attention. Any recommendations?

I'm glad to hear this report from someone who knows the lake. Last May was the first time we fished Red Cedar and we did OK for walleye. But I think this was mainly due to the weather. It got real cold, real fast on Saturday night until the sun peeked out on Sunday afternoon.

At least that's what I'll blame it on!

We mainly fished the southern portion of the lake, not far from the access to MHL. Thinking of giving the northern portion some more attention. Any recommendations?

sent you P.M...

anybody wondering what it is?