Tell me about Darryl Cronzy.....

Canada Goose

Did anyone happen to see the program yesterday where they were catching lakers on Lake Nipigon???

After watching Darryl Cronzy lift a forty pound laker by the gills to hold it up for the camera, his partner attempted to release it while shoving it back and forth in the water. While doing this, blood started gushing from the fish's gills and instantly the camera faded out. They re-shot from a different angle (viewers not able to see the fish) and they claimed it swam off recuperated. NOT A CHANCE!!!.

In complete disgust, I sent show host Mr Darryl Cronzy a letter last night. Suffice to say I was not surprised by his response this morning. Here are a cut and paste of my e-mail and his response. I will be forwarding it to the WFN. I'm also wondering if this is a reportable offence to the authorities in Ontario and who would be the right people to contact regarding this matter.

My Letter:

Attn Darryl Cronzy.

Today, I caught the tail end of your program on WFN where you were fishing for lakers on Lake Nipigon. I was shocked to watch you hoist that 40 pound laker by the gill plate out of the net for the camera photo op prior to your partner releasing the fish. I was disgusted, but not surprised to see the resulting blood gushing from the fish's gills just prior to the camera quickly fading out of the shot. Interestingly, the next shot was from a poor angle where we (the viewer) could not see the fish swim off successfully from the said "4 - 5 minute revival". There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that fish did not survive.

This is a completely unacceptable way to handle any sport fish, especially a great old laker that's probably more than forty years old. As an angler, you have the duty to release all fish in a careful manner that gives them the best chance at recuperation. Hanging them from your meat hooks inside their gill plate is very far from being careful and no doubt results in unacceptably high mortality rates. As the host of a fishing show aired across the country, you have the added responsibility of handling your fish properly so viewers don't get the impression this practice is acceptable because it is not!!

I have seen this ' gill hoisting ' crap many times in past episodes and it's time for it to stop. If you truly care about the resource as you claim, fish handling etiquette should, and will become an integral part of your show. Right now, it does not exist.

I sincerely hope you consider breaking this poor habit of yours and start releasing your fish properly Darryl.

His response from "darryl choronzey" <[email protected]>:

dear disgusted.

i've been raising and breeding fish, stripping fish in hatcheries and the wild and lifting fish for 40 years...gill lifts do not hurt fish if they are hoisted properly, the fish was not bleeding and the fish did swim away healthy and safe...feel free to tune in to any other shore of your liking....or better yet get your own show

cronzy

(Nice grammar and punctuation, there Cronzy)

FYI>>Mr. Choronzey has done more for Ontario's sport fisheries & Angling A.ssociations than all of us on this board put together. He's a living legend & deserves our Respect & support.

He's a true sportsman above all else! Cheers, Dan Reid

I'd give Cronzy the benefit of the doubt. He's out there battling for our interests as anglers with the powers that be. I'd doubt that he'd do anything to hurt a big laker intentionally. As for buddy with the trout with the mouth wide open, I figure that went into his frying pan.

I do believe Mr. Choronzey could use a few upgrades to his manner of releasing fish too, but how often does he release fish anyway, I guess he doesn't eat everything he catches does he?

I attended a seminar he put on about 12 years ago and wasn't impressed one bit. I'm sure he does a fair amount of good for the sport and he is involved which is more than most of us can say. Maybe you can't teach an old dog new tricks...hmmm. :dunno:

Edited by joonmoon

Hey Canada Goose... tell me something... You spell his last name wrong, it's Choronzey. You claim to cut and paste his response, with the last name spelled wrong.

Are you trying to convince us that he doesn't know how to spell his last name?

I think you are full of it. I think it would be great to have Darryl and his people take you to court for libel because of your Bull post here. Putting words in his mouth that he didn't say or write.

You should be banned for criminal activity on here. You should have legal action taken against you for your lies and slander against Darryl.

Why don't you go spread your Bull on other boards.

cd.

Edited by Corey

So what if he likes to eat a few fish, it's part of fishing, don't see anyone lamenting about all the cows that get eaten or chickens that get their arse kicked by some "handlers. Like Danbo said, he's done quite a bit for the improvement of the sport.