• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Dontcryformejanhrdina

Dontcryformejanhrdina

Almost a Guide

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:28 PM

Already got the trailor transferred to my name, but where do I go to get the ownership of a boat changed over?

#2 Raf

Raf

General PITA

• Members
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

service canada

unless they changed that too

#3 SmokestackLightnin

SmokestackLightnin

Almost a Guide

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

Here is the document you need to fill out and submit to change the ownership:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/...E_1007-04_E.pdf

#4 irishfield

irishfield

Fast Typist

• Members
  • 23,683 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

Here is the document you need to fill out and submit to change the ownership:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/...E_1007-04_E.pdf

Yep... apparently only the folks in New Brunswick have the proper paper and lazer printer now! :wallbash:

#5 Dontcryformejanhrdina

Dontcryformejanhrdina

Almost a Guide

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:05 PM

Thanks everybody. So the "pleasure craft licence" is basically the ownership papers?

#6 davey buoy

davey buoy

All Knowing Angler

• Members
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:08 PM

Thanks everybody. So the "pleasure craft licence" is basically the ownership papers?

No,the ownership/registration is for the boat,and the license is to be able to drive it.

Edited by davey buoy, 08 February 2012 - 05:24 PM.

#7 irishfield

irishfield

Fast Typist

• Members
  • 23,683 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

Don't be confusing him Davey Buoy...

The boaters CARD is just that.. a useless card, it is not a licence!

The Vessel Licence is the piece of paper that matches those registration numbers on the boat.

The only LEGAL ownership for the boat.. is the bill of sale, unless you actually register a boat NAME.

#8 davey buoy

davey buoy

All Knowing Angler

• Members
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:13 PM

If you don't have a ownership you have to go to city hall,swear to the JP(don't really swear) that this is your boat.Send that,bill of sale and fill out the service canada ownership change over form and send it all to the address attached which is in New Brunswick.

#9 Mike Borger

Mike Borger

AKA "solopaddler"

• Members
  • 8,243 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:14 PM

Probably too late now but separate recepts from the seller, one for the boat, one for the motor and one for the trailer can save you some money on taxes.

A private sale the motor's receipt can always be made much lower. Just say it needs work. No one will check. ;)

#10 davey buoy

davey buoy

All Knowing Angler

• Members
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:16 PM

Don't be confusing him Davey Buoy...

The boaters CARD is just that.. a useless card, it is not a licence!

The Vessel Licence is the piece of paper that matches those registration numbers on the boat.

The only LEGAL ownership for the boat.. is the bill of sale, unless you actually register a boat NAME.

Just went through this myself,what a crock.

#11 spooner_jr

spooner_jr

Almost a Guide

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:27 PM

And remember to keep a copy of both your bill of sale and vessel license on board, or face about a $300? fine.

#12 Dontcryformejanhrdina

Dontcryformejanhrdina

Almost a Guide

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:49 PM

So basically if I fill out that form and mail it with a copy of the bill of sale, previous pleasure craft licence and a form of ID that'll be fine?

#13 spooner_jr

spooner_jr

Almost a Guide

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:20 AM

There's a Service Canada location in Belleville, just go there.

http://www.serviceca...?rc=3607&ln=eng

#14 smally21

smally21

Guide

• Members
  • 992 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:24 AM

there are no ownership papers.
there is no registration.
the only thing you need to do is fill out the pleasure craft licence and do it online or at service canada.
your bill of sale is the only proof or ownership.

so forget this change of ownership and registration there is no such thing.
what are these ownership/registration papers?
a pleasure craft licence is to identify the vessel, and through that identifier, the operator that fell out of it. it is to assist in SAR. it has nothing to do with driving the boat.

Edited by smally21, 09 February 2012 - 08:27 AM.

#15 Romeo

Romeo

Caster

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:49 AM

Just another point. If you bought a used 'Ontario' boat, then there is no title. Some American states have title (or ownerships) for their boats and motors. So, in the US you have to transfer title, or ownership, of the boat and the motor. This is similar to what we do in Ontario for cars. But, in Ontario there is no such registration for boats or motors. It is like saying, how to I transfer the ownership of the TV I just bought used on Kijiji. So, as has been stated above, the only proof that you own the boat (or ownership), is the ORIGINAL bill of sale from the dealership and another ORIGINAL bill of sale from the person who bought it from the dealership to YOU. Obviously, if there are other intervening buyers and sellers, then you will need a 'chain of ownership' from the dealership all the way to the current vendor.

What you need to do, is register with Service Canada, that you are now the owner of the boat with certain specific numbers on the side of it. In other words, the previous owner would have applied for the boat numbers and Service Canada knows that this boat number 1234567 belongs to John Smith. When he sells it to you, then you have to advise them that you have the boat with those numbers. It's not really an ownership, its more like a tracking device.

Now, whether its required to be done or not, I don't know. BUT BE CAREFUL. Up until now you only had to pay HST on the trailer. When you advise Service Canada of the sale and request that the boat numbers be transferred to you, then you will get a request to disclose the purchase price. After that, you will get a notice from the government that you owe them HST on the whole value of the boat!!!!!!

So, maybe someone can post any reason to change over the boat numbers, but if I were you, I would leave it.

#16 Dontcryformejanhrdina

Dontcryformejanhrdina

Almost a Guide

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:16 AM

Well I imagine they'll find out eventually so I might as well pay it now. Thanks everybody!

#17 SmokestackLightnin

SmokestackLightnin

Almost a Guide

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:10 AM

Yep... apparently only the folks in New Brunswick have the proper paper and lazer printer now! :wallbash:

It would be very easy to update or create a pleasure craft license and place in your boat without filling out the forms and going through the paperwork exposing yourself to an HST remittance request. I am not suggesting anyone commit fraud, I'm just saying what I'm thinking out loud.

#18 BillM

BillM

Imperial Margarine.

• Members
  • 13,142 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:16 AM

No ownership papers for the boat, only the trailer.... Closest thing you might get is the registration papers with the numbers (If you can even count that)

Keep your receipts! That's about all you have as far as ownership is concerned.

#19 DanD

DanD

Guide

• Members
  • 685 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:41 AM

So, maybe someone can post any reason to change over the boat numbers, but if I were you, I would leave it.

Iím the one that sold the boat to Dontcryformejanhrdina and yea I want him to register the boat in his name and out of mine.
Iím not saying heís going to do anything wrong while using the boat; but if by chance he did; letís say for example causes some form accident or is illegally doing something and leaves the scene. A witness to whatever calls the registration numbers into the cops.
Then the cops come looking for me; am I going to be a happy camper; not likely.

Dan.

#20 BillM

BillM

Imperial Margarine.

• Members
  • 13,142 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

No reason to change the numbers, just update the owner information at ServiceOntario.

View My Stats
Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com