• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 eazy

eazy

Almost a Guide

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:18 PM

Been a reel bad year for me as far as steelheading goes!..........I've thrown the kitchen sink at them this year, but to no avail!
I almost exclusively use hardware, as this has worked for me other years, just don't seem to have the patience for float fishing, maybe thats my problem?

#2 Twocoda

Twocoda

Eminent Fisherman

• Members
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:36 PM

if your going to stick to hardware ...try a flat fish with a couple of bbs a foot up from the lure....colour wont matter ;)

good luck

#3 charlied

charlied

Guide

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:55 PM

try some yarn!

#4 Ultyma316

Ultyma316

Almost a Guide

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:15 PM

I'm in the same boat!

Hopefully the drought ends this week!

#5 Twocoda

Twocoda

Eminent Fisherman

• Members
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:18 PM

supposed to rain on thursday....hold on to yer lugnuts ....cuz they will be cruising in overdrive!

#6 Ultyma316

Ultyma316

Almost a Guide

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:26 PM

supposed to rain on thursday....hold on to yer lugnuts ....cuz they will be cruising in overdrive!

Does that mean it will be good thursday? or good Friday...

Cause I plan on going both days :)

#7 Twocoda

Twocoda

Eminent Fisherman

• Members
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:30 PM

that means thursday friday saturday sunday etc until the water levels drop and clear to what they are now

#8 Ultyma316

Ultyma316

Almost a Guide

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:33 PM

that means thursday friday saturday sunday etc until the water levels drop and clear to what they are now

Excellent.

Looks like I'll be going everyday!

#9 MJL

MJL

All Knowing Angler

• Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:00 AM

Been a reel bad year for me as far as steelheading goes!..........I've thrown the kitchen sink at them this year, but to no avail!
I almost exclusively use hardware, as this has worked for me other years, just don't seem to have the patience for float fishing, maybe thats my problem?

I feel your pain...One season I tried to do the hardware thing the entire fall, winter and following spring :wallbash: :lol:

I blanked on a bunch of trips during the winter and early spring

On the bright side, I've never caught so many larger trophy fish in one season :thumbsup_anim:

Keep at it...BELIEVE

Edited by MJL, 18 November 2009 - 12:00 AM.

#10 ThisPlaceSucks

ThisPlaceSucks

All Knowing Angler

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:22 AM

i find hardware might work an hour in a day. perhaps the secret to your success is to adapt and take up the float.
i still bring my spinning rod most trips because there are times when they will mash a spoon real aggressive and not touch a roe bag. that said, i believe the opposite is true more often.

#11 Jason Hamilton

Jason Hamilton

Fishing Icon

• Members
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:01 AM

Ya they hit gear. And in very large rivers it is sometimes the easiest way to get a cast out to your target.

Try experimenting with smaller spinners and spoons.

Theres been a couple times I can remember having a very tough day with float and bottom bouncing then picked up 2 or 3 quick on spoons. Whether there was a feeding window or it just took a little flash to lure them, Im not sure.

#12 eazy

eazy

Almost a Guide

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:51 AM

Thanks for all the input!...........I'm fishing tribs north of sault area which are sometimes on the deeper side, so that is why I'm using hardware, and also greater casting distance is a must..

#13 StoneFly

StoneFly

Guide

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:41 PM

Thanks for all the input!...........I'm fishing tribs north of sault area which are sometimes on the deeper side, so that is why I'm using hardware, and also greater casting distance is a must..

Try a 5g float set up with your spinning reel, if it is deep, that will be fine and you should be able to get some good distance with the weight.

#14 Mike Borger

Mike Borger

AKA "solopaddler"

• Members
  • 8,229 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:03 PM

Not really on the deeper side...
With the exception of the Michipicoten and maybe the Steel all those rivers you fish are spate rivers.
Wait for rain or runoff to raise and colour them up a bit, otherwise you've really got to scratch for fish.

#15 StoneFly

StoneFly

Guide

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:06 PM

With the exception of the Michipicoten and maybe the Steel all those rivers you fish are spate rivers.
Wait for rain or runoff to raise and colour them up a bit, otherwise you've really got to scratch for fish.

Shouldnt you be posting pics from your trip today instead of replying to these posts,..lol. just kidding.

#16 Jason Hamilton

Jason Hamilton

Fishing Icon

• Members
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:15 PM

The fish are there alright. Ive found a few spots and setups that produce in low clear water.

Small baits man, you will have a hard time scaring fish up on big cleos or whatnot.

Dammit I miss steelhead fishing. Mike we should get a northshore tour going next year.

Ahh well back to the muskie...

#17 Mike Borger

Mike Borger

AKA "solopaddler"

• Members
  • 8,229 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:19 PM

Dammit I miss steelhead fishing. Mike we should get a northshore tour going next year.

How about a brook trout/steelhead combo tour in May? :)

#18 JTorra

JTorra

Net Attendant

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:30 PM

Yeah! What StoneFly said Mike! :D

Then I'll post about my goose egg for muskie on Balsam...

#19 Jason Hamilton

Jason Hamilton

Fishing Icon

• Members
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:06 PM

How about a brook trout/steelhead combo tour in May? :)

Sold. Towards the start it could be really good!!

#20 eazy

eazy

Almost a Guide

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:49 AM

The rivers in my area are kind of "Tea colored" so they might be colored enough as is?.............often wondered as wel if they might be getting spooked by the smack of the lure when it hits the water?.....probably not like other game fish when it comes to this(ie; Pike, who are attracted to sound of any kind)

View My Stats
Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com