• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Rizzo

Rizzo

Fishing God

• Members
  • 5,308 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:28 PM

Heading out for my third venture to St. Clair. Both trips have been to Belle River...first trip memorable, 2nd trip not so much. I'd like to try some new water, and was thinking the dumping grounds. Is it realistic to troll from Belle River to the dumping grounds or would I be wasting my time? Is the dumping grounds area big enough that you could spend a whole day fishing it or is it more of a spend a half hour to an hour spot. Finally, if its worth a whole day all on its own is there a launch out that way or still best to launch at Belle River and then bomb over. Thanks for any input.

#2 Mike P.

Mike P.

Eh

• Members
  • 6,081 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:02 PM

You can launch from the puce river but I would got to belle river and troll over to the dumping ground. Follow the contour lines over that way they run 16' range and there are alot of big fish out in front of puce right now.

I have only ever trolled the dumps but do want to get out casting. If you catch one fish there stay in the area there will be more.

#3 Sinker

Sinker

Fishing God

• Members
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

Hey guys, sorry to be a little off topic, but you guys would know the answer to my question best.

How are water levels down there this year??

S.

#4 captpierre

captpierre

Fishing Icon

• Members
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:52 PM

never been to St Clair.  on my bucket list

what are the "dumping grounds" all about?

#5 Rizzo

Rizzo

Fishing God

• Members
  • 5,308 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:35 PM

Thanks Mike. The first fish we got on trip one was absolutely in the middle of nowhere, so I figured it would be worth a troll over, fish it a bit, and then troll back.

dumping grounds is where they used to dump whatever they dredged up when they made the shipping channel.

#6 Smellybox

Smellybox

Almost a Guide

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

its st clair............... get out and troll, cover water try some different presentations, you will get bit

#7 outlaw

outlaw

Fishing Icon

• Members
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:34 AM

the dumps is between pike cr.- puce. I would fish puce 14-16ft. the dumps are shallower no oxegeon. I have fished that area for years.. in front of puce just east is the red barn. straight out from there. best times daylight and nite time. run your baits hi at 4mph.

#8 Rizzo

Rizzo

Fishing God

• Members
  • 5,308 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:10 AM

thanks outlaw. I had been hearing about this barn, figured I would find it when I went trolling west from belle river. Because I am quite far away, I likely won't hit the water until close to 9 am, and won't be around for night, but that's the nice thing about muskies...you can get them even in the non prime times! Here's hoping a few are interested during business hours.

#9 outlaw

outlaw

Fishing Icon

• Members
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:24 AM

the red barn is just east of puce river. try 9 dollar bass. perch wh/belly and blk perch. get a big 1

#10 Misfish

Misfish

JUST HAVING FUN FISHING

• Members
  • 25,897 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:01 PM

I hear bass fishing is real good at LSC. Just saying.LOL

Good luck Rog.

#11 Rizzo

Rizzo

Fishing God

• Members
  • 5,308 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:18 PM

oh ya Brian. I see a LOT of bass out there when I'm casting. Even caught an aggressive smallie last time out, about a 3 pounder. Normally thats a nice fish to catch, but he couldn't match up to my 80lb line! Had him surfing across the top.

#12 Misfish

Misfish

JUST HAVING FUN FISHING

• Members
  • 25,897 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

LMAO

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: need some advice

View My Stats