• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 spincast

spincast

Downriggin Junkie

• Members
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:31 PM

Disclaimer - I haven't tried this myself (combination of patience (lack thereof) and opportunity (not enough time) when i am away) - but this is where I first looked at it. I had intended to on my last outing,,,, but ... perhaps one of these days, ,,,,

https://1source.bass...t-genesis-video

the lowrance site has information on it as well.  and Im sure youtube, the virtual encyclopedia of everything, will have its fair share of info

#22 woodenboater

woodenboater

Fishing Icon

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:17 PM

Very interesting and much easier than simply marking waypoints. I do wonder though if the fine print says they own all data you upload or find using their technology ? If so, I'd be leary of a manufacturer adding this data to chips as it would give up hard earned info.

#23 Tupelo

Tupelo

Almost a Guide

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:28 AM

insight allows you to autochart your own maps

so even if an area is not charted you are able to utilize your sonar to create sounding data onto a chip. I am not sure what specific chip you would require, on the humminbird helix Onix and Solix models its called autochart zero line.

I guess what I mean is I need some where to store the data I am collecting.  Have to look at my unit, but I think it only has one chip slot.  So either the Map Chip - or a storage device - I assume anyway.

#24 Tupelo

Tupelo

Almost a Guide

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:31 AM

the areas in woods, arnolds bay, blackstone harbour etc are not charted on any chip. once you get out to capt allan straight or closer towards port rawson in the other direction is where the charted areas start.

Yes.  What I misunderstood from listening to my Dad/Uncle, was that the area out towards Georgian Bay was not charted as well.  It corresponded to the fact my Map would disappear when I came out of the straight.

But doing a little more research (after hitting a rock) and I have discovered that it is just my map chip that needs to be updated.  D'oh.  

Oh well - at least if I get a new chip, I will not be leery about trying Iron City - have not gone out that direction for Musky, as I was worried about the water.

#25 AKRISONER

AKRISONER

All Knowing Angler

• Members
  • 2,477 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:59 PM

I guess what I mean is I need some where to store the data I am collecting.  Have to look at my unit, but I think it only has one chip slot.  So either the Map Chip - or a storage device - I assume anyway.

The helix 5 and 7 models only have one chip slot. I swap between the two depending on where im going...its not ideal but ya gotta do what you gotta do.

Im still torn whether to sell the 7 and go to a 9 or just buy a second 7 and run both chips one in each unit. I mainly navigate from the driver seat and then actually fish from the front so it could work to just chart from the front.

View My Stats