Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:15 PM

fresh gas and seafoam

#22 Rizzo

Rizzo

Fishing God

• Members
  • 5,196 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:27 PM

well gonna get some fresh gas, seafoam, cut the gas line where the leak is and reattach...then see what happens! I did speak to former owner today...he claims this motor has an internal thermostat (I know some engines do) so don't be surprised that it doesn't pee right away.

#23 chris.brock

chris.brock

citiot

• Members
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:30 PM

I thought outboards with thermostats pee right away but the water doesn't flow through the power head until it's up to temp? Did Nissan do things differently?

good luck though, keep us posted

Edited by chris.brock, 20 April 2017 - 06:31 PM.

#24 DRIFTER_016

DRIFTER_016

Freezin' For A Reason

• Members
  • 8,552 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:56 PM

I thought outboards with thermostats pee right away but the water doesn't flow through the power head until it's up to temp? Did Nissan do things differently?

good luck though, keep us posted

Most but not all.

Have seen some that don't pee until they are warm.

My little 4hp Merc 2 stroke is like that.

#25 Rizzo

Rizzo

Fishing God

• Members
  • 5,196 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:51 PM

oh man my wife is ticked....and I am not happy either.  Got the fresh gas, got the seafoam, cut the piece of hose out that had a pinhole leak, reattached gas fitting....very excited....NOTHING. couldn't even get a sputter tonight. Now I am stumped. Forget the impeller, I can't even get this thing to turn over. I did pull the plugs...how wet should they look? I couldnt tell if they were even wet at all. They certainly didn't look soaking wet...should they?

#26 chris.brock

chris.brock

citiot

• Members
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:06 PM

If you've been pulling the cord for a while, the plugs should be blatantly wet.

#27 Rizzo

Rizzo

Fishing God

• Members
  • 5,196 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:12 PM

pulled til I couldnt pull no more, definitely not blatantly wet. I called the seller...he talked about some carburetor float being possibly stuck...this is getting beyond my technical expertise I think

#28 Rizzo

Rizzo

Fishing God

• Members
  • 5,196 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:16 PM

he did mention stomping on the priming bulb might free it up? Blast of pressure...assuming this is even the problem

#29 chris.brock

chris.brock

citiot

• Members
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:30 PM

I was thinking a crudded up carb from the beginning. Where do you live? Maybe someone on here can help you out.

#30 Sinker

Sinker

Fishing God

• Members
  • 7,788 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:32 PM

If you are lucky the seafoam you added will make it to the carb. Id change the plugs and try again tomorrow. I have seen seafoam foul plugs on a really dirty engine a few timea.

What kind of kill switch is on this engine?

S.

#31 chris.brock

chris.brock

citiot

• Members
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:32 PM

If the float is sticking it would probably be a good idea to clean the whole carb.

#32 Old Ironmaker

Old Ironmaker

No longer looking for a job

• Members
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:06 PM

Spend the 100 bucks and take it in to a Marine mechanic. Sometimes you just have to "call the guy". Have you done a compression test? It takes all of 10 minutes.

#33 chris.brock

chris.brock

citiot

• Members
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:30 PM

Spend the 100 bucks and take it in to a Marine mechanic. Sometimes you just have to "call the guy".

If it was 100 bucks I would definitely call the guy. The problem is there's plenty of guys trying to make a weeks salary from one carb rebuild/ cleaning.

#34 Chuck Enwinde

Chuck Enwinde

Minnow

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:59 AM

If you're anywhere near Georgetown there is a guy named Randy that works out of his garage.  He rebuilt the carb on my Nissan outboard for a very reasonable price.  You can find his contact info on kijiji. 

#35 DanD

DanD

Fishing Icon

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:27 AM

There's usually some form of drain plug or screw on the float bowl of the carb.

By removing the plug or loosening this screw, will tell you whether there's fuel getting into the carb.

With the info I had, I googled 8 hp Nissan and got this pic.

_57_zpsmeo1pxpa.jpg?t=1492685816

If this looks like your carb the drain screw is the one circled? 

Once loosened or removed you should see fuel dribbling from the bowl; if not try pumping the fuel prime bulb. 

If the bulb becomes hard and there's still no fuel dribbling; try tapping the carb's fuel bowl with a screwdriver handle. Don't beat the crap out of it; but a number of solid smacks. If the float or the needle is stuck; the pressure from the prime bulb and you hitting the bowl may knock it loose and allow the fuel to enter the carb?

There also a chance that the pulse fuel pump is clogged, due to the rubber diaphragms becoming rotted and coming apart. The fuel pump is the square bit on the side of the carb. Four screws a couple of diaphragms and a spring is all that's in there nothing magical about it.

Give this a try and let us know what you find?

Dan.

Edited by DanD, 21 April 2017 - 06:38 AM.

#36 Rizzo

Rizzo

Fishing God

• Members
  • 5,196 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:36 PM

Wow you guys are awesome with the replies. Luckily a local member has offered to have a look so hopefully we can get it going. The former owner has also told me he will look after getting it running but since he lives in Barrie hope this works first rather than figuring out how to get it to him

View My Stats